Apples & Bananas Berries & Cherries Pineapple & Citrus Fruits
Melons, Mangos, & Grapes Peaches & Pears Fruit Salads
Have you ever heard the saying 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'? Most of us have heard that saying since we were children. But most of us don't realize the truth behind this little rhyme.
Fruit is one of the most healthy and natural foods in existence. There are thousands of different types of fruit available to eat, all of which provide us with strong health benefits.
Why Eat Fruit?
Fruit contains a large number of naturally occurring vitamins, minerals and plant phytochemicals that help benefit your overall health.
Most fruits are naturally low in fat, sodium, and calories. None have cholesterol. Fruits are important sources of many nutrients, (including potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, and folic acid) that are vital for weight loss, and overall health and maintenance of our bodies by:
- Reducing the risk for stroke, cardiovascular disease, and other chronic diseases
- Reducing the risk for type 2 diabetes
- Lowering blood pressure
- Lowing cholesterol
- Protecting against certain cancers
- Reducing the risk of coronary heart disease
- Reducing the risk of developing kidney stones and bone loss
- Helping the growth and repair of all body tissues
- Helping heal cuts and wounds, and keeps teeth and gums healthy
- Reducing the risk of tube defects, spina bifida, and miscarriages during fetal development among pregnant mothers
So How Much Fruit Should You Eat?
It has been recommended that we should be eating at least FIVE pieces of fruit every day in order to gain the full health benefits of eating fruit.
Here are some tips to slip in those 5 servings a day:
- Add dried fruit to breakfast cereal
- Prepare fruit salads to last few days
- Eat apple before leaving for work
- Eat small piece 30 minutes before / after light workout
- Drink more fruit juices - without added sugar
- Always have a bowl of fruit out and ready to eat
So it really is true - an apple a day CAN and DOES keep the doctor away!